How do we define poverty?
- Individuals and families experiencing poverty lack the adequate resources to maintain a decent standard of living, and to participate fully in the life of the community.
- While poverty is not only an income issue, it is always related to income and access to resources.
How do we measure poverty in Hamilton?
- Poverty is measured as those individuals and families with incomes below the Statistics Canada Low Income Cut-off (LICO) measure.
We want to rally community involvement and marshal community resources in order to reduce the number of individuals and families living in poverty in Hamilton, while preventing future generations from experiencing conditions of poverty.
- As Hamiltonians come together to tackle poverty in our community, we recognize that success will involve changes in the way we approach this issue and implement solutions.
- Despite all the work underway in our community, real progress will only occur when we make significant changes to the culture of our community with respect to the way we view poverty and seek to address it.